Search the Forum

go
Howling sound from rear of Jeep.

Howling sound from rear of Jeep.

Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
auggie2006
newcomer

New here, I have a question about my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado. When im going down the road I hear a bit of a howling sound. Anyone know what it is or how much it will cost? Want to get an idea of what it is before I take it in since repair shops can take advantage of a girl. Thanks

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
theDunst
newcomer

Is there anything leaking from the rear differential? The differential is the center of the rear axle, you will also see the drive shaft going into it.

smokin_g35
newcomer

Your differential probably has low oil and is whining. If there is some fluid that is leaking all over the dif then you have a seal thats bad.

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
theDunst
newcomer

Your differential probably has low oil and is whining. If there is some fluid that is leaking all over the dif then you have a seal thats bad.

Thats what I was getting at, if you have fluid on the differential its going to be the rear axle seal. Fairly easy job and not too much money if you take it to a shop, probably $160 at the most depending on how much they charge per hour. Or if you know someone mechanically inclined then the parts are like $15 and a couple hours of time to swap it out.

auggie2006
newcomer

Thanks guys for the great info. Im going to take it in tomorrow and see if thats what the repair shop recommends too. Appreciate all your help and suggestions.

auggie2006
newcomer

Thank you all again, I took my jeep in and it was indeed the rear axle seal. Got it fixed for #139 and had it back a couple hours later. woohoo!

Login to reply